Chinese smartphone start-up and MIUI developer Xiaomi has announced the launch of a new smartphone in its home-market on Wednesday. Dubbed as Xiaomi Hongmi (Chinese for Red Rice), the new smartphone has been priced at just 799 yuan ($130).
Hongmi comes with some impressive specifications for this affordable price-tag like 4.7-inch 720p display with Gorilla Glass 2, quad-core Mediatek processor and 1GB of RAM. The phone also packs dual-SIM support (3G + TD-SCDMA), 8MP rear camera, MIUI v5, and 4GB of internal storage.
The new phone will be available starting August 12, while the pre-orders have already begun at Qzone.
Xiaomi Hongmi key specifications
- 4.7-inch 720p IPS display with 312ppi density Gorilla Glass 2
- 1.5GHz Mediatek MT6589 Cortex-A7 processor with PowerVR SGX544 GPU
- 1GB of RAM, 4GB internal storage, and microSD card slot
- 2000 mAh battery
- 8MP BSI rear camera, 1.3MP front camera
- MIUI v5 with Android 4.2
- Colour options: Black, Chinese Red and Metallic Gray (Battery cover is exchangeable and cover options include blue, green and yellow)