Samsung today also announced Galaxy Tab for Canadian wireless carriers Rogers and Bell. Samsung Galaxy Tab will be available mid November, in time for the holiday shopping season.
Full Press Note Below:
Samsung Mobile Announces Canadian Launch Timing for the Highly-Anticipated Samsung Galaxy Tab
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Sept. 16 /CNW/ – Samsung Mobile Canada, the leading mobile phone brand in Canada1, today announces the upcoming Canadian availability of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung’s first mobile tablet device. Representing a new category in mobile products for Samsung, the Tab is scheduled for Canadian release in the coming months.
Powered by Android Operating System 2.2, and leveraging the fastest and most reliable HSPA networks, the Galaxy Tab brings together all of Samsung’s leading innovations to provide users with more capabilities while on the move. Consumers are able to experience PC-like web-browsing and enjoy all forms of multimedia content on the perfectly sized 7-inch display, wherever they go. Moreover, users can continuously communicate via e-mail and SMS/MMS or social network with the optimized user interface.
“The addition of Galaxy Tab to the Galaxy product portfolio is a powerful proof point of Samsung’s commitment to bring new and innovative mobile experiences to Canadian consumers,” said Paul Brannen, vice president, Samsung Mobile Canada. “The 7-inch display and thin, lightweight design, combined with premium content and productivity tools makes the Galaxy Tab a true mobile tablet that is as comfortable to use standing on a crowded train as it is relaxing on the couch at home.”
Powerful Display, Portable Design
The Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch enhanced TFT display screen and a 1GHz Hummingbird Application processor, supporting 3D graphics and smooth Web browsing. Powered by Android 2.2, the Galaxy Tab provides access to Google Mobile Services including Google Search™, Google Maps™, Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™ and more. With full support for Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, users can engage with thousands of sites with rich Internet applications (RIAs), including games, data presentations and visualizations, ecommerce, video, music and more. Samsung’s mobile tablet also provides access to the more than 80,000 applications currently available on the Android Market™.
The display delivers 1024×600 resolution and many of the built-in productivity services and Android applications are scalable to fit the Galaxy Tab’s full 7-inch screen. For example, the user’s email, calendar and contacts will all rotate from portrait to landscape format through the tablet’s accelerometer and then open as a split-screen to create a PC or laptop viewing experience on the Tab. Likewise, many Android Market applications will open in full screen. Non-scalable Android Market applications will be framed and centered on the Galaxy Tab screen at 800 x 400 resolution.
The Galaxy Tab is designed for people who want a premium mobile entertainment experience on the go, but don’t want to be weighed down by a bulky device. The Galaxy Tab weighs only 380g and is 12 millimeters thin. The compact design makes it easy for the user to type on the virtual keyboard with one hand using Swype technology.
Two Cameras, One-on-One Video Chat
The Galaxy Tab is designed with a rear-facing 3.2 megapixel camera for taking pictures on-the-go and sharing with family and friends. It is also outfitted with a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and camcorder, enabling video chat with other people who have video conferencing capabilities.
The Portable Professional
The Galaxy Tab provides the best mobile productivity as it’s essentially a handset device and laptop compacted into the size of a daily planner. Viewing and editing Microsoft Office documents is easy and convenient with Thinkfree.
The Galaxy Tab allows users to preview emails in a split screen format for easier viewing and also supports auto pulling (POP3/IMAP) and push email for Gmail and ActiveSync Exchange for anytime retrieval. Its calendar synchronizes the most popular time management services offered by Google, Facebook and Microsoft Exchange to help users best maximize and organize their time.
The Ultimate Portable Multimedia Hub
The Galaxy Tab has made rich communication truly mobile; it presents a level of converged technology that moves beyond mobile or PC to an entirely new category. Users have new powers to consume, create and communicate from wherever they are.
* Readers Hub – Samsung’s unique e-reading application provides easy access to a vast digital library – from classical literature to the latest bestsellers and reference materials. Samsung Readers Hub consolidates e-reading applications such as eBooks, magazines, and newspapers.
* Media Hub – The Galaxy Tab makes the perfect vehicle to watch your favourite TV shows and movies.
* Social Hub – An ultimate and integrated inbox that links contacts from across various social networks and aggregated messages into one seamless platform – ensuring users stay connected with their favourite contacts.
* Content Sharing – The Galaxy Tab allows users to share multimedia content with other DLNA-ready (AllShare) devices allowing users to combine devices for internet access, games and document sharing.
Additional Features of the Galaxy Tab include:
* Daily Briefing: Offers instant access to weather, news, stocks, and schedules.
* Impressive Onboard & Expandable Memory: Galaxy Tab can add 32 GB of external memory to store and manage your favorite video content and pictures.
* AllShare DLNA Technology: Take video or pictures shot with Galaxy Tab and send content wirelessly to other DLNA-enabled devices (HDTVs, laptops, PC monitors, etc.)
* Document Viewer & Editor: Open and make changes to any Word, Excel, PowerPoint or PDF document
* 4,000 mAh Battery: Super-sized battery provides ample power to watch movies, share content and surf the Web
The Galaxy Tab will be available in the coming months from Bell and Rogers. For more information contact your authorized retailer or go to www.samsung.com.