Recent Smartphone Related Patent Disputes – Fact Sheet
- Microsoft Corp. filed a lawsuit against Motorola on Friday, saying the smartphone maker had infringed on nine patents in its Android-based devices.
- Apple is currently being sued by Finnish mobile phone company Nokia for patent infringement and has fired back with a countersuit against Nokia.
- HTC, a major handset maker, and Apple are also currently suing each other over patent claims involving Android-powered phones.
- US business software maker Oracle has filed suit against Google, charging that its Android software infringes on Java technology patents held by Oracle stemming from its recent acquisition of Sun Microsystems.
- In June, Canada’s Research in Motion, maker of the Blackberry, and Motorola reached a settlement to their long-running patent disputes.
- In July, NTP, which holds a number of patents but doesn’t manufacture any products, filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia against Google, HTC, LG and Motorola over eight patents related to the wireless delivery of email.