Gaining root access on Sony Ericsson Xperia Play needs bootloader unlocking. So this tutorial will help you unlock the bootloader on your Xperia Play Android smartphone.
Read this first to check if you can unlock the bootloader of your version of Xperia Play.
1. Download the following files:
Fastboot package: http://www.multiupload.com/BMJ24IL6XY
2. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/instructions
3. At the bottom click ‘Continue’ and enter your IMEI (type *#06# to find out on your phone), name and Email Address
4. You should now get your unique unlock key
5. Now, Extract fastboot.rar and open Fastboot folder
6. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
7. Select ‘Open command window here’
8. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold menu button and plug in USB Cable)
9. In command window type in – fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
10. If a value is returned, it means the phone is correctly connected
11. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key provided in step 4.
12. The bootloader of your device will now be unlocked
Now, if you want to root you Xperia Play, follow this guide.