Distimo has released its yearly report about major app stores and it gives us an overview of how the Android app landscape changed in the last one year. This report also gives us the comparison with other app stores during this period.
Prominent findings of the report:
- 2011 was the year where in-app purchases and the freemium business model became one of the most important monetization strategies for developers. 65% of the revenue from the top grossing apps is generated by freemium apps in Android Market.
- The Google Android Market is now the largest store for free apps, surpassing the Apple App Store for iPhone in June 2011.
- Android Market contain roughly 46,045 games, which is the second largest number after Apple App Store.
- Android Market size was more than doubled in the last one year, from 150,000 apps to nearly 350,000 apps.
- The Apple App store for iPhone generates about four times the revenue that is generated in the Google Android Market.
Google had also released an info-graphic recently showing the Android Market growth, but that included data from the start now just this year.
You can read the full report by downloading it from
*Majority of data in this report has been taken from US.