Verizon is rolling out a major software update for DROID Bionic users, this brings several bug-fixes, performance improvements and app updates. As it is rolling-out OTA, you will soon get a notification on your smartphone to update the device. If you cannot wait for the OTA roll-out, use the instruction given below to install it manually now.
Implications: It might break the root access on your DROID Bionic.
Update 5.9.901 Change-log:
- Preload VCast Apps Store
- Preload Sling stub application
- Preload MOG stub application
- VZNavigator preload updated to version 220.127.116.112
- Youtube videos restart after pausing to access Notification Panel
- Youtube screen flashes when Back key pressed during video play
- Voice call muted while composing a Visual Voiceamail message
- Visual Voicemail saves messages to internal memory with UI displaying SD card target
- Visual Voicemail delete actions sends delete and save commands to the server
- Stuck in 3G mode in strong 4G coverage
- No 4G data connectivity
- No LTE service in LTE only service areas (Hagerstown, MD)
- Patch for Alcatel-Lucent LTE infrastructure R9 support
- Dual IMSI support
- Excessive LTE handover attempts (SIB8 messaging processing)
- Improvements in Wi-Fi Mobile Hotspot LTE download performance
- OTA update needs to utilize Admin APN
- Support for National Plus Code Dialing
- Cannot play WAV files
- Support for Bluetooth Personal Area Networks (PAN)
- Missing SMS alerts while on voice calls
- Choppy audio while streaming via to a TV via HDMI
- No Bluetooth audio when paired and connected
- Black screen lockups
- Reduced idle resets
- Voice call drops when SMS message is received
- Lockups when XT875 is in the multimedia dock
- Resets after camera multi-shots are taken
- Internal memory file creation dates shown as December 31, 1969
- Clock widget time does not match Notification Panel time
How to install DRIOD Bionic 5.9.901 Update:
- Download the update file.
- Copy the update file to the root of your SD Card
- Reboot into recovery (adb reboot recovery). If you don’t have ADB on your PC, download this and run first (make sure to enable USB debugging in phone settings)
- When the robot appears, press both volume keys at the same time.
- Select “Apply update from SDCARD” using the volume keys
- Choose the update file
- Wait for update process to finish and you are done.