Samsung Galaxy S II ICS update live in India

After months of wait, Samsung India has finally started rolling out Android 4.0 update for Galaxy S II owners in the country. The update is available over-the-air as well as via Samsung Kies application.

The update size is 220.31MB, and it includes Touchwiz UI along with Ice Cream Sandwich goodies like Face Unlock, Re-sizeable widgets, performance improvements, new People App and a lot more.

As consumers wait for the Galaxy S III release in the country, it is certainly welcome news for a generation old phone owners.

Thanks everyone who sent this in

38 thoughts on “Samsung Galaxy S II ICS update live in India

SANJAY KUMAR

(August 1, 2012 - 11:20 am)

I have upgraded my S2 from Android 2.3 to 4.0.3 some time back…Facing lot of problems since then. WiFi takes time to switch on. Touch screen response is slower than before. Memory consumption is above 500MB all the time. Slow application start up. Blank screen for few seconds many times when starting application. TWLAUNCHER the main shell is crashing all the time. Getting the message “TWlauncher has stopped working” very often. Is there a way to go back to previous version…

Michael

(July 10, 2012 - 5:49 pm)

After updating my phone to ics.
    5.1 channel in music is not working also some times sound playing from phone speaker has problems..
    It slows up….please help.

Sanjay Kumar

(July 8, 2012 - 11:59 pm)

I tried to upgrade my S2 through Kies. Downloaded the new firmware through Kies. Afterwards Kies just displays a screen saying..”Preparing the new firmware for upgrade”. This goes on for about 2 hours and still nothing happens. And all the time my phone was connected though USB. Any one any ideas. I live in India. Phone was purchased in India.

rk singh

(June 12, 2012 - 3:41 pm)

after updating samsung galaxi 2 to ics,browser is not working.pl help

Milind

(July 5, 2012 - 9:55 pm)

Go to manage application -> browser-> clear data
      Then launch browser , it’ll work

vikas

(June 5, 2012 - 11:28 pm)

what abt ICS updates for galaxy R??? 🙁

JJ

(June 5, 2012 - 9:36 am)

Finally did it yesterday.

First, I had to upgrade my Kies to the latest version.
    Then, Kies wasn’t recognizing my device on USB.
    Dialed *#7284#
    Selected PDA for USB.
    Next problem was there wasn’t enough space on my C drive, at least 3 GB is required. Somehow manged to get rid of some unnecessary files.
    After upgrade, Internet stopped working and so did all apps which used it as the default browser, such as Google Search. Cleared cache and it started working.
    Some apps now using the default font instead of my customized one.
    Some ringtones seems to be missing.
    No data loss however.
    ActiveSync is not showing any other folder than Inbox.
    Others seem to be working fine.

chetan

Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

sujit

(June 4, 2012 - 3:29 pm)

After ics update wifi disconnects & reconnects automatically after every 3 minutes
    Bad experience
    Rest all is too good

chetan

(June 3, 2012 - 1:29 pm)

m facing a promblem from kies an error pops up that the firmware update has stop working what to do plzz help

Abhinandan

(June 6, 2012 - 9:56 am)

same here…require help !! 🙁

karthick santhanam

(June 2, 2012 - 4:16 pm)

Finally I could update to ICS. What a messy job it was?
    Updating to Kies is one of the frustating stuff you could ever imagine.
    At the end got the clue that we need to do the following if the kies is not recognizing the phone if connected through USB

a. key in the dialer *#7284#

b. it has 4 option there..

UART (MODEM/PDA)

USB (MODEM/PDA)

c. For USB. select the PDA.if it already selected to PDA. reselect it by select MODEM and then? PDA again.. Only change the USB setting.. and then press back. try reconnect.

Then could update the kies to its latest version.
    then upgrade the firmware twice to actually upgrade it on my SGS2.

Internet was not working ( cleared the cached to get it working)
    Fonts are fine.
    RAM is 768.
    I could forward the messages now and the call logging is little better now, should improve it to reach it anywhere near HTC.
    But atleast a start.
    WiFi keeps on disconnecting, it is a big concern.
    Need to explore more

shashank

(June 4, 2012 - 5:30 pm)

while upgrading it keeps on showing preparing firmware upgrade components for hours .help required

nikil

(June 2, 2012 - 10:10 am)

Device does not support software upgrading via kies(my phone aint rooted)… also NO ota.{kerala}
    wat ta do…. help…

Deepal

(May 31, 2012 - 12:18 pm)

usb tethering has stopped working on my sgs2 after installing this official ics…is it same with you all ?

Suresh Burde

(August 14, 2012 - 6:21 pm)

I face the same problem with Windows XP, but not on Win7.
      haven’t found a solution yet.

Rajkumar

(May 31, 2012 - 3:25 am)

I am facing an error once the firmware components are downloaded the error message says it as ” Failed to acquire administrator of GT-I9100 ” how to solve help

navil

(May 30, 2012 - 10:52 pm)

after the latest update for my samsung galaxy S2, status bar brightness slider is not working even after unchecking the auto-brightness option. please help me to know whether anybody else have the same issue.

netmange

(July 31, 2012 - 9:09 pm)

I have a similar issue after upgrading to ICS

Gulamabbas

(May 30, 2012 - 5:32 pm)

The ICS update is not available OTA however it is available via Keys. The Upgrade is worth it. I love the feel of my Galaxy S2 now.

Lalit

(May 30, 2012 - 1:56 pm)

Any one give detail please what is PDA Phone CSC no. is now?
    I don’t getting even 2.3.6 now via OTA

vishal

(May 29, 2012 - 11:00 pm)

OTA not available and kies gives connection error. Why samsung???

Zeidan

(May 29, 2012 - 10:52 pm)

Dont know whats the problem..
    But those who are using 2.3.6 should get ota update..If u are using 2.3.5 then u have to use kies to update ur droid..

Zeidan

(May 29, 2012 - 10:48 pm)

Who told u ota not avalable..?
    my friend updated his s2 via ota 6days ago…Im from Kolkata…

niru

(May 29, 2012 - 8:27 pm)

it all looks good… nut im facing problems with internet browsing, email(not the gmail app) and phone restarts if i open play store!!! anyone else facing similar problems?

adithya

(May 29, 2012 - 6:01 pm)

CM-9 based custom rom- paranoidandroid 4.0.4 is much much better than this.

Rishikesh

(May 29, 2012 - 5:56 pm)

Everyone.. Go for Kies… Took me half hour… Worth the wait.
    Pros: Awesome new UI, task killer, notification killer, great keyboard, snappy camera, data usage is cool, new gmail, new youtube, faster updates to other apps, new lock screen, new settings, new browser, CHROME, multitasking works like a smooth ride on butter. Love it. i love the notification bar.. its where u can identify the change btwn I9000 and I9000G.

Cons: Touchwiz sucks, no calender update, no clock update, adding widgets is a time waste, resizing widgets is still a bummer, nothing new to other stock apps.

Final Verdict: Awesome!!, speedy, snappy, edgy and much better looking than 2.3 Gingerbread.

Haresh Gulvani

(May 29, 2012 - 6:10 pm)

Which version is this? 4.0.4?

PraDz

(May 31, 2012 - 11:47 pm)

Thats a lotta help Rishi,Just out of curiosity can you just tell more on the difference between I9100 and I9100G?

Shwetank

(June 5, 2012 - 8:43 pm)

I am not sure but here are my two cents….I9100 is the proper international version with slightly better specs…. while I9100g is the Indian version of GS2 packing less heat under the hood.

I don’t understand why a less powerful version for India by Samsung.. :/

Adithya

(May 29, 2012 - 5:45 pm)

update size is not 220MB. it is 384MB. i checked in samfirmware.com.
    Here is the download link

Adithya

(May 29, 2012 - 5:40 pm)

if no OTA, update via kies…

Adithya

(May 29, 2012 - 5:39 pm)

what about touchwiz? latest or same?
    i mean, v4 or v5?