Indian telecom operator Idea Cellular has announced a new 3G Android smartphone. A re-branded version of Alcatel’s One Touch 985N, the Idea Aurus has been priced at INR 7,190.
The smartphone features Android 2.3, 3.5-inch capacitive display, 800MHz processor, 5MP rear camera, front camera, 1300 mAh battery, and dual-SIM connectivity.
Out of two SIM card slots, only one card slot supports 3G connectivity.
Idea has also pre-loaded quite a few applications on the Aurus including its own App store called Idea App mall. Other bundled apps include Android Manager, augmented reality app Layar, Currency Converter, Facebook, photo editor PicSay, Pinball game, Ringdroid, Shazam and Twitter.
Idea Aurus does not come with stock but a slightly tweaked version of Gingerbread on-board.
This is the fourth Android smartphone launch from the telco, Idea has three other Android smartphones in its portfolio including Idea Blade, Idea ID-918 and Idea ID-280.
- Android OS version 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- 3.5 inch display with 320×480 pixels resolution
- 61.84 x 116 x 12.15 millimetres
- Weight: 136 grams
- Front Camera: 0.3 MP
- Rear Camera: 5 MP
- CPU: MediaTek MT6573 processor
- 256 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM
- External Storage: 32GB maximum
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11a, b, g, n, Bluetooth, GPRS, 3G, Edge
- Battery : Standard 1300mAh battery Li-Ion
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
Full press release:
Idea enhances 3G smartphone portfolio with the new dual-SIM AURUS
Idea ‘Aurus’, dual SIM smartphone, comes with Android 2.3.6 OS, Super fast processor, Video calling facility, 5 megapixel camera (using software interpolation) 4GB memory card and benefits worth Rs. 2,340
Mumbai, 24th September, 2012: India’s 3rd largest mobile operator, Idea, has expanded its 3G devices portfolio with the addition of a new dual-SIM smartphone called ‘Aurus’. Idea’s latest offering, Aurus, is an Android handset and will be amongst the most affordable smartphones in the market to offer video calling facility.
The fourth phone in the Idea 3G Smartphone portfolio, Idea Aurus, is a stylish yet powerful device which can deliver ‘smart life’ to its users with the unique video-calling facility, Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS, 800 Mhz processor, superior 3.5 inch multi-touch screen display, and cloud backup functionality. With its large, bright screen, it is the perfect device for watching movies and playing games, and the built-in music player with supplied in-ear headphones offer excellent sound quality. The handset packs a 5 megapixel primary camera (using software interpolation), along with a front camera to support video calls allowing users to not only talk but see the person live in real-time.
According to Mr. Sashi Shankar, Chief Marketing Officer, Idea Cellular, “3G is becoming an enabler in smaller towns which don’t have good broadband access. Deep rooted mobile network and availability of affordable smartphones are making acceptance and adoption of 3G services faster in Tier 2 & 3 towns. The new Aurus will offer key 3G features like Video calling which will be a new experience for users of all age groups, especially the youth and working professionals, who want to own high-end, feature rich smartphones but find them unaffordable.”
Idea has been targeting its existing 2G users to upgrade to 3G with its range of smartphones. The company’s strategy to proliferate 3G services into the educational, commercial and agricultural heartlands of India, through not just services and applications, but also with the sale of affordable smartphones is paying rich dividends. Idea has witnessed rapid uptake of its 3G smartphones, especially in semi-urban and rural markets of MP, Maharashtra, Gujarat, AP, Kerala, UP etc, and it has already sold more than 1.5 lakh handsets.
Smartphones are witnessing rapid uptake due to their multitasking capabilities and vast range of applications. While data uptake has witnessed steady growth ever since Idea 3G services were launched across the country, the progress and proliferation has been spurred with the availability of affordable 3G devices such as Idea Blade, ID 918 and ID 280.
As per emerging usage trend of Idea’s earlier devices, Idea TV has emerged as the biggest attraction for users to go for Idea 3G smartphones. Facebook and Youtube are the other most used applications. Keeping these insights in mind, Idea has launched Aurus which comes pre-loaded with Idea TV, Idea Mall and a host of applications like ‘Gravity sensor’, built in social media Apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, Youtube, GPS, Wifi, Games, Music and Video player etc. Aurus is the only smartphone in this price category which comes with an in-ear handsfree. It also has a 4GB external memory card.
Idea Aurus is priced at Rs. 7,190 and will be available across all major mobile retail stores and Idea outlets across the country. Idea users who recharge with Rs. 259 will get 3G benefits worth Rs. 2,340 with the smartphone. So, the end user cost translates to just Rs. 5,109.
Idea 3G smartphones portfolio includes:
1. Idea Aurus: Front and back cameras with Video calling, Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) OS, Dual SIM , 800Mhz powerful processor, 4GB Micro SD card included (expandable to 32GB), 3.5” capacitive Multi touch screen, 5 MP camera (using software interpolation) , Cloud Backup, Social Networking apps and RSS feed support. Price: Rs. 7,190.
2. ID 918: Dual SIM, 2.3 Android (OS), 3.2 MP Camera, 3.2-inch Capacitive (Multi Touch) screen, , Micro SD support up to 32GB, Geo-tagging, GPS Navigator software, FM radio and MP3 Player, WiFi, Bluetooth, Social Media Apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, and pre-loaded Google and Youtube, besides a range of other high-end smartphone features and Idea TV. Price: Rs. 5,994.
3. Idea Blade: 2.2 Android OS with 3.5”Full Touch Screen, Powerful battery, 3.2 MP camera, and Superior capacitive touch, G Sensor, Wifi and GPS. Price: Rs. 7,992.
4. Idea ID 280: 2.2 Android OS, Faster Qualcomm processor, Superior capacitive touch, powerful battery, G Sensor, Wifi, GPS and 3.2 MP camera. Price: Rs. 5,850.