Samsung Galaxy S III getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update in India

Samsung has started rolling out the much-awaited Jelly Bean update to Galaxy S3 in the country today. The update is available over-the-air (OTA) as well as via Samsung Kies application on PC.

We have got multiple confirmations suggesting that update roll-out to the Indian Galaxy S III users started this morning.

The update, which is 290MB in size, brings a new set of Touchwiz improvements along with Jelly Bean goodness including Google Now.

You can manually check for the update by going to Settings>> About Device>> Software Update.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which was released back in June, brings a host of performance improvements including β€˜Project Butter’, offline Google voice dictation, improved keyboard, expandable notifications and more.

Touchwiz Improvements in S3 Jelly Bean update:

• New live camera and camcorder filters like Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights (blue, green, red/yellow), and many more.
  • Pause and resume while recording video allows users to string together multiple captured video clips.
  • Low light photo mode offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.
  • Users can now easily resize or pause the Pop Up Play picture-in-picture video window.
  • Galaxy S III owners can disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms and LED indicators for a designated period of time.

107 thoughts on “Samsung Galaxy S III getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update in India

jijesh

(November 30, 2012 - 9:20 am)

now (30.11.2012) Jelly been update not available in india)

Babik

(November 29, 2012 - 4:21 pm)

Twice I missed the OTA update as I was not close to a Wifi Source (and there is a queue) so I took the leap into Kies and got the updated to 4.1.1. Not sure if my phone is now smoother but I like the new look of the drop down window in the Home screen and settings is far more scuttle now πŸ™‚

Mohammed Riyaz

(November 27, 2012 - 2:12 pm)

I got another OTA update last week Friday (23/11/2012). It was about 45MB and it says that the update is for more stability.

kalyan

(November 24, 2012 - 12:21 pm)

Successfully upgraded to jelly bean 4.1.1 The update size is 310 MB OTA update.@pune

Mohak Rastogi

(November 22, 2012 - 9:39 pm)

So yesterday i got the jelly bean update notification on my s3 through ota but my mistake i pressed cancel button.5 min later when i checked it said the sw service is available to user in order in which they request.try later.it has benn 1 day but no luck.i guess the server is busy.tried clearing sw data but still nothing.I dont want to update thriugh kies as it is a long procedure. when iwill it resume?

Mohak Rastogi

(November 22, 2012 - 9:27 pm)

So yesterday i got the jelly bean notification but by mistake i pressed cancel the button.after 5min when i checked again it said that servervice is available to user in order in which they request it.Try later.it has been one full day but still no notification.I tried deleting the sw data frm app manager but still no luck.Any idea?i dont update through kies as it takes a very long time/

pramod

(November 22, 2012 - 4:58 pm)

update has started again please check

shailendra

(November 22, 2012 - 4:31 pm)

has started yesterday, size of update is approximately 800 MB to 1 GB

pramod

(November 22, 2012 - 3:29 pm)

The jelly bean update for India has started yesterday.Upgraded my phone via kies as ota servers were busy.

prsasanth kumar

(November 17, 2012 - 12:37 am)

Samsung has very bad service center.I bought tis mobile yesterday only for 35k.I heard a news tat s3 is going to be updated to latest version .still no update via ota.I am really sad …. why they r not responding

PG

(November 17, 2012 - 11:42 pm)

Sorry but you should opt for Note II thats having 2 GB RAM more features compared to S3 and ofcourse latest JB pre installed. Reason in later stage S3 may not get latest update due to hardware limitation or any other reasons it can be any.I bought when it released and watching to get JB.I dontwant to forcefully update So I m waiting. Now dear you also in que.

Milin S

(November 18, 2012 - 9:41 am)

Hello Dear,
      The truth is the latest Released firmware for JB for S3 is not stable. It has crash’s for many apps which are inbuilt for S3. I would suggest wait for one more week. Go to Service Centre and get it updated. Do not use the firmware version which currently available, though the upgrade on the kies is currently working for 1 out of 10 people only because of the “Serial Number” issue for which even Samsung does not have. Surely that is disappointing same as for you and me and other users.

Sanky

(November 15, 2012 - 4:19 pm)

Just now called up Samsung Customer care (30308282) and got the response as they have no information on the Jelly Bean update for S3 as of now. When I asked that why Kies is showing the update (as few users has already shared how to get it) then he said it will soon be updated (I am not sure if Kies will be updated or what!?). And they recommend to get your phone updated only via their Service Centers instead of trying OTA or Kies!!!! I mean why in this world have they created Kies for then??? Stupid!

Anyways… I will try to visit some service center to get to know the exact reason, as don’t want to take risk with the process mentioned above.

PG

(November 15, 2012 - 8:28 pm)

This is in reference to your email received on date 13th of November, 2012 regarding updation of GT-I9300 (Galaxy S III) to Android Jelly Bean v4.1.

We would like to inform you that yes it is true that update is available for India but now it rolled back due to some bug reasons, so now you need to wait regarding the same update for your handset. Therefore; we are not in position to give you any exactly information regarding the date about the same.

But we thank you for your Important Feedback to us. We forwarded your feedback to Product Innovation Team. Presently they are looking on same matter. If any update is available you will be get on our website as soon as possible.

As per the mentioned query, we request you please be in touch for the future reference.

Regards,

Technical Support Team

Samsung India Electronics Pvt. Ltd.

Sanky

(November 16, 2012 - 1:31 pm)

I must say… the poor service by Samsung for releasing JellyBean 4.1 to its best Anroid phone yet is really shameful. When I bought S3… I was hopeful to get the latest OS at the earliest (if not the first) but now I can see Google releasing JB 4.2 as well and we still are waiting for 4.1.
        I don’t understand when Note 2 is already coming with JB, why can’t they release a stable version for S3?

PG

(November 14, 2012 - 10:45 pm)

Contacted samsung India customer care as per them update has been rolledback due to issues reported by user. No info wen new update will be roll out.

Mohammed Riyaz

(November 12, 2012 - 1:02 pm)

I was able to update to Jelly Bean with the steps provided by Hrishikesh. Thank you. Bangalore, Karnataka.

ArKay

(November 13, 2012 - 1:44 am)

What was your baseband version? Was it one of these – DL15,L1,LI1,LI5 ?

Mohammed Riyaz

(November 13, 2012 - 1:19 pm)

Right now its DLJ1, not sure what was it before. Sorry.

Imran

(November 21, 2012 - 3:55 pm)

0Well, Here it is 11-8-11 and I am running 2.3.6 . I Just boguht my phone a couple months ago and am having this random freezing / rebooting issue. I have searched and searched, cannot find any fix for this problem. I didn’t get the extra service plan from my provider, so i f i want to send it to samsung i have to pay my carrier 100 bucks just to have them send it and have it looked at, not really an option, as i just spent over 500 total for the phone and all .Is there a clear resolution to this issue somewhere? I can’t seem to find one . If it turns out that sending to the manufacturer will DEFINITELY fix the issue then i’ll make it happen. Problem with that is every post i’ve read people say that sending it back didn’t fix it and in a lot of cases made it worse.

kkpradhan

(November 11, 2012 - 5:54 pm)

No formal update for my case. Have a talk with customer care.
    As per then Samusung has provided update for 4 base band version ends with
    DL15,L1,LI1,LI5. Check your base band verison.

abi

(November 12, 2012 - 9:25 pm)

will it be released later for the others??

Hrishikesh

(November 11, 2012 - 11:34 am)

I successfully updated my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Kies to 4.1.1 (xxLJ3) yesterday in Pune.

1. Disconnect S3 from computer.
    2. Open Kies(updated) and goto -> Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization.
    3. Enter your model no i.e. GT-I9300 and click OK.
    4. Then Enter your s3’s serial number (Settings -> About device -> Serial number) and click OK.
    5. Now Kies will download the whole firmware approx 800 MB and will properly guide further for flashing original updates.

Note: You didnt need to backup anything, neither contacts nor apps, msg etc.

Try this n if successfull then reply me n also spread everywhere bcoz there are many s3 users eagerly waiting for this update.

rohit

(November 11, 2012 - 1:44 pm)

Im also from pune…did kies give u any msg of emergency firmwarr upgrade…and did it ask u to put ur phone on recovery mode???

rohit

(November 11, 2012 - 3:52 pm)

and i hope it is an official update…as i dont want to upload any custom os

Dennis

(November 11, 2012 - 4:02 pm)

hEY YOU ARE CORRECT IT WORKED FOR ME TOO NOW I AM DOWNLOADING IT….SOON GOING TO TASTE THE BEAN :O)…HEY GUYS TRY WHAT HE TOLD I DID AND GOT THE BEAN NOW…THANKS MAN….

rohit

(November 11, 2012 - 5:10 pm)

I upgraded my phone an hour back….i hope we still get updates from samsung…and hope this isnt a custom os

Dharmendra

(November 12, 2012 - 1:53 pm)

This is official update from Samsung
          You can check by restart your phone and hold the home and volume down button and then continued by pressing volume up button

PG

(November 11, 2012 - 5:17 pm)

Please confirm your phone is detected by kies after update.

Dennis

(November 13, 2012 - 8:54 am)

yes Kies detected my phone after the update…

satya

(November 11, 2012 - 11:56 pm)

This works for me.Advice others to do the saem.Kudoos.

Vinay H V

(November 12, 2012 - 12:34 am)

The above procedure worked for me… Thanks for the clear instructions, Now I have 4.1.1 android version.

Mohammed Riyaz

(November 12, 2012 - 1:00 pm)

The above steps worked for me. Awesome. Thank you. Bangalore, karnataka.

Nitin

(November 12, 2012 - 1:51 pm)

Worked!!! Thanks πŸ™‚

Dharmendra

(November 12, 2012 - 2:38 pm)

Thank you to simplify my post which was post on 10th November.
      Good work

Ashish

(November 16, 2012 - 12:05 pm)

How long does this process take, as it is continously showing Procced to Emergency recovery window but its progress bar is not moving any further

Milin S

(November 18, 2012 - 9:43 am)

Bro,
      Please do not give these steps. If you search on Internet, only 1 out of 10 people have success in doing it. If you have FIX to the problem of “Serial Number” then please suggest.
      Appreciate your support.

Bhavik

(November 10, 2012 - 9:03 pm)

No update for me yet. This wait is killing me

manoj

(November 10, 2012 - 8:35 pm)

Finally the Samsung galaxy s3 is getting this update,

Kumar

(November 11, 2012 - 9:03 am)

Hi..which part of india you are from..? When did you get the update

PG

(November 11, 2012 - 10:17 am)

How via ota or kies

PG

(November 12, 2012 - 11:02 am)

Is your phone detected by kies agter update or its showing phone is not detecing by kies.

Dharmendra

(November 10, 2012 - 5:04 pm)

I have update my s3 with jelly bean using Kies.
    I want to share how can I update my s3

1. Run Kies and Click on Tools>Firmware upgrade and Initialization
    2. Enter Model name “GT-I9300” then click on ok
    3. Enter Serial Number then click on ok again Kies shows msg “…..all settings and data will be deleted………..” click ok again.
    (for serial number you can check from “Settings>About device> Status”)
    4. Next windows show firmware version ” PDA: LJ5/ PHONE: LJ1/ CSC: LI7 (INU/INS)”, click ok
    (this is new firmware (jelly bean) for INDIA, you can also check Sammobile website)
    5. It will start firmware up-gradation process
    Note: When showing Caution windows you must switch your phone to recovery mode by restart the mobile with pressing the power button while holding down volume and home button and then press continue by pressing up volume button.

This process work for me, hope works for other

rohit

(November 10, 2012 - 7:15 pm)

Is it safe to upgrade in this manner??…coz wen i connect my phone to kies…it doesnt detect the firmware upgrade automatically

Dharmendra

(November 11, 2012 - 10:00 am)

Yes, Its safe
        I have update my s3 yesterday its working fine
        No data loss (if you select allow saving)

mkuds66

(November 11, 2012 - 12:21 pm)

I hope the contacts and all dnt get deleted

rohit

(November 11, 2012 - 12:42 pm)

Is there no other way of updating to jellybean???…coz the kies software goes into emergency software recovery…so im a bit scared..

Dennis

(November 11, 2012 - 4:04 pm)

YES WHAT HE TOLD IA ABSOLUTELY CORRECT JUST NOW I TRIED AND GOT THE BEAN…THANKS…

Rakesh

(November 12, 2012 - 9:13 pm)

Thanks Dharmendra … i have done it as u have given above .. its working on my phone.. thanks a lot

Hitendra

(November 10, 2012 - 11:04 am)

my firmware version is csc:193000jvblf3 will i get an update

Mohammed Riyaz

(November 9, 2012 - 5:11 pm)

No update yet. Fake news. Bangalore.

pankaj

(November 9, 2012 - 3:24 pm)

fake news samsung shame on u no update i think it will come on november 2013

rohit

(November 9, 2012 - 9:21 pm)

News is not fake…it was shown on cnn ibn…samsung has started rolling out the updates…all the people wont get update at the same time…it is a long process and will take 2-3 weeks to get all the phones updated.

PG

(November 10, 2012 - 12:36 am)

For kies update no batches required but yes for OTA it comes in batches. So cant rely on news bec they always take source of those sites that recieves info from othrrs. Its fake.

pramod

(November 10, 2012 - 12:03 pm)

then y its not updating through kies

kunal

(November 9, 2012 - 1:13 pm)

Where is the update yaar…? Itz been ages now..the best phone in the market is making customers cry for an Update..! This is really sad on Samsung..! India has a huge market share on samsung phones..then to it has a very bad service here. ! Grow up samsung..!

Pramod

(November 8, 2012 - 9:33 pm)

No update yet. Don’t get it how it’s being posted on some website that it’s live.

Shahul

(November 8, 2012 - 9:28 pm)

Its just for now in Germany and not Globally available check this >>>http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_101_is_getting_jelly_bean_in_germany-news-5057.php

PG

(November 8, 2012 - 10:45 pm)

Sites talk about Galaxy tab 10.1 not galaxy SIII India.

Shahul

(November 8, 2012 - 9:26 pm)

No update ive checked manually and OTA with KIES software This is fake !!!!

mithun

(November 8, 2012 - 9:25 pm)

Its true… they allready started rolling out… checkd in samobile and fonearena.. its confirmed… may b we will ger ot tomorrow

hiii

(November 8, 2012 - 9:03 pm)

No update fake news

rohit

(November 8, 2012 - 8:17 pm)

Still no update…:-(

prasad

(November 8, 2012 - 8:11 pm)

News is totally fake fake fake fake fake fake fake fake
    Who gt d update must be nt hvng indian gs3 πŸ˜›

Shaan

(November 8, 2012 - 8:02 pm)

I tried early in the morning (after 6 AM) tried again after seeing this post around 2 PM and again after 4 PM. Still no update.

Arun

(November 8, 2012 - 7:42 pm)

No OTA update yet!!!

Sharad

(November 8, 2012 - 7:34 pm)

no update yet …..ny1 got the update………

Pankaj

(November 8, 2012 - 7:15 pm)

Not yet any update

pramod

(November 8, 2012 - 7:09 pm)

No update as yet.

ashik

(November 8, 2012 - 6:32 pm)

Guys! Its not a fake news..i got a notification this morning that i can update it to latest firmware. Its 290mb! My bro has updated his mob and now his version shows 4.1.1! Jelly bean arrived!! Finally!

Anand

(November 8, 2012 - 6:21 pm)

Still waiting for an update time 6.21 pm 8 Nov 2012.

aj

(November 8, 2012 - 6:04 pm)

only vivek got the OTA might be he is using poland S3 ……..LOL

Sudarshan

(November 8, 2012 - 5:18 pm)

Still there is no update…….:-(

Aakash

(November 8, 2012 - 5:15 pm)

Akash

(November 8, 2012 - 5:07 pm)

Guys please clarify me whether the I9300 i bought in Chennai, India is 4G compatible or not???

Pankaj

(November 8, 2012 - 7:11 pm)

NO , Indian SIII having 3G only …..

Akash

(November 9, 2012 - 11:56 am)

Thanks a lot Pankaj. They cheated me then. I must say -I got cheated πŸ™‚

bsnr

(November 8, 2012 - 5:01 pm)

No Jelly Bean update yet !! The news, obviously, is fake

sid

(November 8, 2012 - 4:57 pm)

i am not getting any updates…when i try to update through ota it says no update available

Rajeev

(November 8, 2012 - 4:44 pm)

Fake news…..no updates from Samsung….I have contacted thru online chat support team…they if any such they will post in Samsung site

rohit

(November 8, 2012 - 4:33 pm)

I had called up samsung support…they said there is no official news that the update is being released…and is still not available in india…

Dharmendra

(November 8, 2012 - 4:14 pm)

you can check your phone firmware by typing the “*#1234#.

Dharmendra

(November 8, 2012 - 4:15 pm)

*#1234#

rohit

(November 8, 2012 - 4:57 pm)

ya…maybe what ur saying is true…because i just checked my firmware version and its different

Pankaj

(November 8, 2012 - 7:17 pm)

This is for new 4.1.1 pda and csc. how others can have it widout update.

abi

(November 9, 2012 - 9:06 pm)

What about for firmware version PDA: I9300XXBLH1 CSC:I9300ODDBLG2

prasad

(November 8, 2012 - 4:10 pm)

yes its fake
    how could sm users get notifications and soe not ? πŸ˜›

prasad

(November 8, 2012 - 4:08 pm)

Then y m nt getting update notification
    I m also having indian galaxy s3

sri

(November 8, 2012 - 3:58 pm)

I got an notification for update today morning…but as i didnt hv wi-fi i postponed the update to 12hrs
    now if i go n chk in settings it shows no update…
    news is’nt fake as said it’s 290mb

Vivek

(November 8, 2012 - 3:52 pm)

It is indeed 290.50 MB..It’s better to use wifi..guys it definitely is available..I checked at 10 30 am..wasn’t available…but I got the update notification at 11 00…loads of new features plus buttery interface..It’s worth the wait

prasad

(November 8, 2012 - 3:46 pm)

no Update yet
    checked lot many times
    through kies and OTA πŸ™

rohit

(November 8, 2012 - 3:21 pm)

No update as yet…all this is fake news according to me…

Sapan

(November 8, 2012 - 3:13 pm)

Not here yet. Tried Sammobile Site and shows that the update is available. Hope shows up on the phone 2nite.

Vivek

(November 8, 2012 - 3:13 pm)

I updated mine at 11 AM…FINALLY..Samsung delivers..thank you Sammy

Manoj

(November 8, 2012 - 3:46 pm)

Hi vivek, can u pls tell me how did u update it?? I am so eager in getting it..

Vivek

(November 8, 2012 - 3:55 pm)

Hey manoj..I guess they are rolling it out in batches..I don’t see any other reasons for so many folks not getting the update notification..I didn’t even use kies..the notification just posted up when I connected to my wifi..So I guess it’s just a few hours wait my friend..

Manoj

(November 8, 2012 - 4:03 pm)

Thank you for the update…I will wait..

santosh

(November 8, 2012 - 8:12 pm)

Hi vivek can you please tell me …where did u buy your phone!! In india or did u import it from outside!! is your phone 4G or 3G? some people say only few models (Update come only for Firmware version of PDA: I9300XXDLJ5 and CSC: I9300ODDDLI7.
      you can check your phone firmware by typing the β€œ*#1234#) are getting the update so i’m confused πŸ™

Vivek

(November 8, 2012 - 8:58 pm)

Yeah santosh..That’s exactly what I have..I bought it on the second day of launch..don’t know if that makes any difference..Am not sure if my phone is 4G..How do I check that..I bought it in Gurgaon..also I don’t see how the firmware thing comes into play here..but long story short..I’m on jelly bean..and maybe I should thank Samsung now coz I kinda took the update for granted..yikes

PG

(November 8, 2012 - 10:49 pm)

Santosh

I again repeat for you that once u will get updated your phone to 4.1.1 then PDA: I9300XXDLJ5 and CSC: I9300ODDDLI7 will be like this.

So wait dont blame ur SIII, Its right which u bought but wait…….

Dennis

(November 8, 2012 - 2:59 pm)

Even i tried to update Jelly Bean in both ways through OTA as well as via Kies….No update yet…Are you telling the truth??

santosh

(November 8, 2012 - 2:49 pm)

Guys let me know if someone gets the update !!! I’m pretty much excited as I’m going to buy it in couple of days!!!

Akash

(November 8, 2012 - 2:40 pm)

No update yet..

Dili P

(November 8, 2012 - 2:34 pm)

Anybody successfully upgraded yet?

Abhimanyu

(November 8, 2012 - 1:54 pm)

Even I tried, no update yet.

Abhi

(November 8, 2012 - 1:34 pm)

I tried, but still hasn’t got Jelly Beans Update on my S3.