LG officially announced its new flagship smartphone G2 at a press event today. The successor to the company’s last flagship Optimus G smartphone, LG G2 brings a host of improvements as well as upgrades to compete with other high-end models including Galaxy S4 and HTC One available in the market right now.
According to LG, LG G2 features a 5.2-inch full HD True IPS display and is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, which is the probably the best smartphone SoC in the market right now. You can find the full list of specifications later in the post.
As an interesting change, LG has included the volume rocker and power button on the back of the smartphone below the 13MP camera. The company states that the power button also acts as a quick launch button for the camera app.
Coming to the software, LG G2 runs on Android 4.2.2 along with the company’s custom user interface. The company has include host of software tweaks to improve the experience on the smartphone, we are listing some of these tweaks below.
- Answer Me: Automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.
- Plug & Pop: Recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link: Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote: Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside: Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode: Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
“We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2, the most exciting and ambitious mobile phone in our company’s history,” said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company.
According to LG, G2 will be released via over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other key markets. LG has also revealed that G2 will be available via all four major telecom operators in the United States.
LG G2 key specifications
- Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS (1080×1920 pixels / 423 ppi)
- Memory: 32GB/ 16GB
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz
- Cameras: Rear 13.0MP with OIS / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Colours: Black / White