Includes offline viewing, info-cards, and better Chromecast support
Google has announced the launch of a new Chrome app for Play Movies and TV. While the new app will work with Chrome browser on any platform, some of the included features are exclusive to Chrome OS.
According to a Google+ post by the Google Play team, the new app allows Chrome OS users to download movies for offline viewing. So, if you don’t have data connectivity, you can still watch the rented or purchased movies using the app. This feature won’t be available for Chrome browser users on other platforms like Windows, Mac or Linux.
In addition to the offline viewing, the Google Play Movies and TV Chrome app supports info cards, which allow you to pause select movie scenes to see information about the actors and soundtrack songs in that parituclar scene. It was earlier only available to Android app users.
Here is the full list of Google Play Movies and TV shows app features:
- Buy or rent your favorite movies and shows and watch them anywhere, anytime on your Chrome OS device, even when you’re offline.
- Manage your movies and TV show libraries effortlessly across all your devices, including Chrome OS, the Chrome browser on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and also on supported Android and iOS phones and tablets using the Play Movies & TV app.
- Watch them in HD on the big screen of any HDTV using Chromecast.
- On Chrome OS, download them to watch anytime, even when you’re not connected.
- Pause select movie scenes to see Info Cards about the actors and soundtrack songs.
Get Google Play Movies and TV app from Chrome webstore