Samsung has kicked off its Mobile World Congress 2015 journey with the unveiling of the new Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge smartphones. The S6 and S6 Edge will be lead the charge of the company’s smartphone portfolio this year and compete with the flagship smartphones from companies like Apple, HTC and LG.
“With the all new Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, Samsung is offering what’s next in mobility, along with a new standard to drive the global mobile agenda. By listening to our customers, and learning from both our success and missteps, we continuously push forward new technologies and ideas. With a reimagined design, robust partner network and novel services, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge offer users the ultimate experience in smartphone options,” said JK Shin, CEO and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics.
Unlike the plastic Galaxy S5, Samsung’s new S6 phones are encased in a frame made of reinforced glass and aircraft-grade aluminum.Coming to the specifications, both Galaxy S6 sports a 5.1-inch Quad-HD (2560x1440p) Super AMOLED display, but the left and right edges of the display are curved in S6 Edge. The phones are powered by 64-bit 2.1GHz Exynos octa-core processor and run on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with the company’s TouchWiz UX, which has been refined as per Google’s material design and doesn’t include too-much bloatware.
The Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge also include 3GB of RAM, 32/ 64/ 128GB of storage, 4G LTE support, 2550 mAh battery (2600 mAh in S6 Edge) and wireless charging support.
On the imaging front, Samsung has packed f1.9 16MP sensor on the back with optical image stabilization as well as IR auto-focus and 5MP shooter on the front. The company has also added something called “Quick Launch” in the phones, which provides fast, direct access to the camera from any screen in just 0.7 seconds by simply double clicking the home button.
According to Samsung, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge will go on sale beginning April 10, 2015 in 20 countries. The phones will retail in White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Blue Topaz (Galaxy S6 only) and Green Emerald (Galaxy S6 edge only) colour options.
Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge specifications
- OS: Android 5.0.2 with TouchWiz
- Display: 5.1-inch QHD (2560x1440p) Super AMOLED, dual curved edges in S6 edge
- Processor: Octa-core, 64-bit 14nm Samsung Exynos
- Memory: 3GB of RAM & 32GB, 64GB, 128GB of storage(non-expandable)
- Cameras: 16MP f1.9 rear with OIS, 5MP ƒ/1.9 front
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1 LE, NFC, IR remote
- Sensors: Accelerometer, ambient light, barometer, compass, fingerprint, gyroscope, hall, heart rate monitor, HRM, proximity
- Battery : 2550mAh (in S6), 2600mAh (in S5 edge), both with wireless charging (WPC & PMA support)
- Security: one-touch fingerprint scanner, KNOX management software
Samsung Galaxy S6:
Samsung Galaxy S6 edge: