Fitbit has announced that its new Ionic smartwatch will be available starting October 1 in the markets across the globe. The company says the consumers in Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and North America will be able to grab the device from major retailers in their market. Pre-orders are already open.
Priced at $299.99 in the US, the Fitbit Ionic is being released in three colour combinations – silver gray tracker and clasp with blue gray band, smoke gray tracker and clasp with charcoal band, or burnt orange tracker and clasp with slate blue band.
Ionic is the company’s first proper smartwatch and it runs on a new software platform called Fitbit OS. Fitbit is releasing the software development kit for developers on September 26, allowing them to create apps for the device. These apps will be available via Fitbit App Gallery this fall.
Quick look at the Fitbit Ionic features & key specs
- Unibody aluminum design with 8 different sensors
- Water-resistant upto 50m
- Activity tracking including tracking steps, distance, floors, active minutes & calories burned
- Swim tracking
- Enhanced heart rate tracking
- On-device guided workouts
- Automatic sleep tracking
- Up to 5 days battery life
- Compatible with Android, iOS and Windows devices
- Support for contactless payments, on-board music, notifications
“We defined the fitness tracker market 10 years ago and look forward to doing the same with the smartwatch category, delivering what consumers want most and have not yet seen in a smartwatch,” said James Park, co-founder and CEO of Fitbit.